1. Simultaneous election proposal was opposed by 9 parties.
- The Law Commission under the chairmanship of Justice B.S. Chauhan is mulling the possibility of conducting simultaneous election in India. Simultaneous election means conducting Lok Sabha election and State Assembly election simultaneously, ending the cycle of election every year in different part of the Indian states.
- 4 parties support the proposal and they are TRS, Shiromani Akali Dal, AIADMK and SP.
- Congress, BJD, RJD, BSP, JD(U) are yet to appear in front of law commission.
- BJP, who were the torch bearer of simultaneous election has written starting that it will give a detailed response later.
2. Fish samples from Chinthadripet and Kadimedu (the two major fish market in Chennai) have tested positive for Formalin.
- Formalin is a cancer inducing chemical used illegally to preserve fish.
- Formalin causes irritation in the eyes, throat, din and stomach.
- In the long run continued exposed caused hath to the kidneys, liver and can even cause cancer.
3. Bamboo of Andaman and Nicobar can replace plastic straws
- A scientist from BSI (Botanical Survey of India) has given a natural way to replace or use as alternative to use and throw plastic straws, by tapping bamboo.
- The bamboo species Schizostachyum andamanicum, endemic to the islands looks ideal for the purpose.
- It has advantage of being biodegradable as well as it can last for years which people can use multiple times. Its longevity make it cheaper than plastic. The price of bamboo straw is 50 paise per piece.
- Since the ‘straw bamboo’ found all over the Andaman and Nicobar, it can be cultivated by the farmers which increase their income.
4. Using virtual world to end identity crises.
- The Kerala govt. has launched a mobile app for transgenders to help them.
- Many transgenders are reluctant to reveal their identity which affect them to get ID cards. This card help transgenders to avail the benefits of welfare programs and other schemes.
- App will be named ‘Mazhavillu’ after the comprehensive project for transgender community.
5. Stronger defence for government key data
To strengthen the key official data of departments and government offices, the Ministry of Hone Affairs has developed the National Information Security Policy and Guidelines (NISPG). Its purposes are:
- It highlights baseline information security policy, concepts and best practises which ministries and departments should implement protect their classified information.
- These practises will help establish minimum security processes and controls across govt. departments.
- Guidance to organisations to priorities and focus attention and efforts in classification of information and securing such classified information.
6. Rajnath singh the minister of Home Affairs will chair the two day plenary meeting of the North Eastern Council in Shillong.
- The Governors and the Chief Ministers of the North Eastern started will participate.
- This meet will first time (from its establishment in 1971) discuss the topics related to security in the region.
- The NEC is the nodal agency of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- Earlier the chairmenship was held by the Minister of Development of North Eastern Region (Donear). Recently, chairmenship transferred to the Home Minister.
7. Center is planning to make RBI a sole repository of all non cash financial transactions in the country.
- The idea is to set up an information technology based mechanism to keep a tab on all non-cash financial transactions in the country.
- Although the data will be captured for all transactions irrespective of the size of the transactions, the large ones would be relevant for enforcement purposes.
- Under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, banks and financial institutions are already required to alert the Financial Intelligence Unit, under the finance minister, to any suspicious transactions, cash or otherwise.
- Cash transactions of more than rupees 10 lakh (including a series of transactions integrally connected to each other and exceeding types 10 lakh in a month), need to be reported to the FIU
- All suspicious transaction need to be reported to the unit within a 7 days after it is concluded that those are suspicious in nature.
8. 53 year old Bahl eyeing mount McKinley in US
- Sangeeta Sindhi Bahl, the oldest women from India to conquer Mt. everest, is now eyeing Mt. McKinley in Alaska.
9. Lithuanian couple win wife carrying championship in the small Finnish town of Sonkajarvi.